Dr Owino is an expert in international environmental law and possesses an in-depth understanding of the structure and functioning of major Multilateral Environmental Agreements acquired over 10 years of environmental law related research. He has a mastery of legal analysis and thinking acquired through legal training and work both as a litigation advocate and academic lawyer. He has excellent legal research and report writing skills nurtured over a combined period of six years of postgraduate doctoral and LLM environmental law research. He is deft at drafting and advising on environmental legislation in diverse subject areas and deciphering complex legal documents.
Dr. Owino is also a proficient scholar and is currently a Senior Law Lecturer and Chair of Private Law Department at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology School of Law. He holds a Doctor of Laws degree in International Environmental Law from the Faculty of Law Universität Bayreuth, (Germany) and a Master of Laws degree with an environmental law research focus from the University of Dar es Salaam. Dr Owino has published in the areas of governance and environmental law.
Dr Owino is part of the team in the firm that conducts legal, governance, regulatory and compliance audits. This included audits on blue chip companies listed in the securities exchange, leading corporates, parastatals and other government entities among other clients. He also offers legal consultancy and advises on various areas of the law.
Educational and professional qualifications
- Dr. jur (Doctor of Laws) (Dr. Jur.) Universität Bayreuth, Bayreuth (Germany) – Faculty of Law, Department of Public and European Law (2015).
- LL.M (Master of Laws) – University of Dar Es Salaam – Human Rights and Environmental Law (2011).
- Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, 2008.
- Diploma in law, Kenya School of Law, 2007.
- LL.B (Bachelor of Laws)(Honors degree) – Moi University Eldoret (2006).
- Certificate in Energy Sector Strategies to Support Green Growth - World Bank
Membership in professional associations
- Law Society of Kenya.
- East Africa Law Society.
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Centre) - African Good Governance Network.
- Environmental Law Institute, Washington, DC.
- Pupilage: Msinga Munyithya & Co. Advocates, January 2007 – June 2007.
- Legal Researcher, World Bank Clean Development Mechanism Project, August 2007 – April 2008.
- Legal intern, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, May 2008 – November 2008.
- Associate: Kamoti Omollo & Co. Advocates, November 2008 – March 2011.
- Junior research fellow, Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies (BIGSAS)
- October 2011 – July 2015.
- Senior Law Lecturer, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, November 2015 to date.
- Partner (currently a consulting Partner): Munyao, Muthama & Kashindi- May 2016 to date.
Certifications, Accolades and Awards
- Doctoral Scholarship German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD, 2011 – 2015).
- Doctoral Research Grant, Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies (BIGSAS), Germany (2011 – 2015).
- LLM Scholarship by DAAD and “Aktion Afrika” Centres of Excellence, Germany (2009 -- 2011).
- Omondi R. Owino, (2017) Trans-boundary Resource Co-operation in the Lake Victoria Basin from an International Environmental Law Perspective, LawAfrica (Forthcoming)
- Omondi R. Owino, (2016) 'Agro-fuel Law and Policy in East Africa: Assessing Avenues for Sustainability' in Le Bouthillier, Y; Cowie, A; Martin, P and McLeod-Kilmurray, H Policy and Law on Biofuels, Edward Elgar pp. 263-284 ISBN: 9781782544548
- Owino, R. O, (2015) 'Fouling Adam's Eden: A Legal Analysis of the Collective Action Challenge in the Lake Victoria' in Martin, P and Kennedy, A (eds) Implementing Environmental Law, Edward Elgar pp. 170-190 ISBN: 9781783479290
- Wanitzek, U., Döveling, J., Omondi, F and Owino, R.- Kenia, in: A. Bergmann/M. Ferid/D. Henrich (Hg), Internationales Ehe - und Kindschaftsrecht. Frankfurt/Main: Verlag für Standesamtswesen, 2014 ISBN: 9783801912079
- Omondi R. Owino, (2012) 'Conceptual Aspects of The Right to Environment: An International Perspective' Law Society of Kenya Journal (volume 8(1) 2012, lawafrica, Nairobi, Kenya pp. 41- 65 ISBN: 9966031273
- Owino, R 'Terrorism is no Reason to Violate the Law' Business Daily February 9, 2015
- Omondi Owino 'Betting on Old Power Sources Will Hurt Kenya's Energy Quest' Business Daily October 23, 2014.
- Dr. Owino has successfully led a World Bank multi-million funded project on evaluating Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) to facilitate the drafting of an ICZM national policy for Kenya.
- He has consulted for the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) as a REDD+ Legal Preparedness consultant with a mandate to analyze and prepare a report on how provisions in key legislation promote the integration of REDD+ in Kenya.
- He has been involved in conducting legal compliance and governance audits for several high profile clients across diverse sectors that include telecommunication; energy; construction, accountancy; and publishing.