Okutta has a wealth of experience in commercial and civil litigation and particularly in employment and labour relations matters. He previously worked for the Federation of Kenya Employers (FKE) where he was gained considerable and extensive experience in Employment and Labour Laws, Legal Research, case analysis, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations, litigation and preparation of training materials with regard to employment and labour laws. He deals with both contentions and non-contentions (replace with contentious and non-contentious) employment and labour relations matters including litigation and dispute resolution, review and advise on contracts of employment, advising on termination of employment by summary dismissal, poor performance, incapacity, restructuring and redundancies among other wide array of other matters. He has also vast knowledge in Insurance Law and has successfully prosecuted and defended matters in this field. He also handles various corporate/commercial law, regulatory and compliance matters.
Educational and professional qualifications:
- Admitted, advocate of the High Court of Kenya, 2015.
- Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law, 2014.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) – University of Nairobi, 2012.
Membership in professional associations:
- Law Society of Kenya.
- East Africa Law Society.
- Associate, Munyao Muthama & Kashindi Advocates, Nairobi. 2016 up to date
- Associate, Kairu & McCourt Advocates: 2015
- Pupil and legal analyst: Federation of Kenya Employers (FKE): 2014 – 2015.
Certifications, Accolades and Awards:
- 2017: Awarded certificate of commendation by the East Africa Law Society in Entebbe, Uganda.
- 2016: Awarded certificate of commendation by the East Africa Law Society in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Recently acted in the Yatta Parliamentary Election Petition NO. 2 of 2017 Francis Kilonzo vs IEBC & others. He successfully defended the Independent and Boundaries Commission in the petition which was dismissed and substantial costs were awarded to the client.
- He has previously handled a matter whereby the functions of the President of the Republic of Kenya was challenged in a petition which challenged the appointment of the board appointments in all parastatals. Mr. Okutta successfully defended the Petition.
- Involved in representing a leading Chinese firm which was a successful bidder in a multi-billion donor funded project for the Water and Sanitation Improvement project awarded by one of the public bodies operating in the water sector, in successfully opposing a challenge instituted by a losing bidder before the Public Procurement Administrative Review Board. The matter involved key procurement issues and jurisprudence touching on among other things, locus standi of applicants in a joint venture in instituting tender award challenges. Involved in representing the same Chinese firm in separate proceedings instituted by a different bidder but relating to the same award. Acted for the firm both before the Administrative Review Board and the High Court. The cases addressed notable public procurement matters including the Board’s jurisdiction in disputes emanating from donor funded projects and projects the subject to negotiated grants.
- Involved in representing a leading supplier and retailer of tyres and accessories before the Public Procurement and Appeals Review Board in dispute relating to a multi-million tender awarded by a public body in based in Mombasa and operating in the ports sector. The challenge succeeded before the Board but was subsequently overturned on appeal to the High Court.
- Represented and advised various corporate clients and public bodies and agencies in a number of employment matters in which he has successfully defended them to a positive conclusion. Amongst such clients include the Independent Electoral Boundaries Commission (IEBC), NGOs Co-Ordination Board, NG-CDF Board, National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF), Kenya Trade Network Agency (KENTRADE), KCA University, Kenya Sugar Board, amongst others.